DRINKING WATER VACCINATION FOR BROILERS
WHAT TO DO BEFORE VACCINATION?
– Vaccine must be administered on the appropriate day as per the vaccination schedule.
– Check vaccine for expiry dates.
– Check the equipment (ensure it’s clean, functioning, calibrated(for Dosatrons), and sterilized before use)
– Gently agitate bottles thoroughly prior to use
– Thirst birds 1.and a half- 2 hours before vaccination
– Add skimmed milk (2.5 grams/ liter) or specific recommended dyes e.g. Aviblue (12.5 grams/ litre) you can use Go Blu from biyinzika, or Avi Blu
– Do not chlorinate water at least 48 hours before vaccination.
– Do not vaccinate sick birds and wait for the green light to do so from the responsible vet.
WHAT DO YOU DO DURING VACCINATION?
– Give the exact recommended doses required. Do not go below the recommended dosage.
– Vaccinate birds early morning when temperatures are still low especially those in hot sub- Saharan regions.
– Vaccinate birds within the shortest possible time (minimize breaks) to sustain the efficacy of the vaccine
– Vaccine must be consumed within 1- 1 and a half hours after administration.
WHAT DO YOU DO AFTER VACCINATION?
– Ensure proper cleaning, sanitation, sterilization and maintenance of the vaccination equipment.
– Update records (No of birds vaccinated, name of vaccine, method of vaccine application, amount of vaccine used, date vaccinated, duration of the vaccination, time started vaccinating, and no. of hours thirsted)
– Take ample time to observe response of birds to vaccine.
HOW TO CALCULATE AMOUNT OF WATER (LITRES) NEEDED FOR VACCINATION
The amount of water should be approximately 30% of the daily intake. If you don’t have the means to measure the amount of water intake. If you don’t have the means to measure the amount of water intake, you can resort to the formula below as an alternative.
Age in days x Number of birds x 2 / 1000= Lts needed for vaccination.
Having an agribusiness question? Do you know of a successful agribusiness venture or story that you wish to share? I would like to hear from you. Send me the TIP(s) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like and follow MkulimaTODAY on Facebook | twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Group share this article and leave comments or questions or WhatsApp me +254700761190 on what you would like me to answer in the next article.