Today several individuals both young and old are either considering agriculture as a side hustle or their main source of income. Here is an introduction to watermelon farming
Introduction to watermelon farming Soil & Climate Requirements
1. Grow well in well-drained soils.
2. Very sensitive to water-logging.
3. Optimum pH is 5.5-6.5
4. Summer season is best.
1. 3-5 kg/ha
1. Furrow method: 2.5-3 m inter-row 2.5-3 m in-row.
2. Beds: 1.2 m wide with furrows 0.50-0.60 m, plants spaced 2.5-3 m.
3. Early production seeds can be sown in July-August.
NB: Fertilizer recommendations should be based on soil analysis results.
1. Basal dress with Compound D 350/ 600 kg/ha ; Compound C 250 – 600 kg/ha or Vegetable blend 300 – 400kg/ha.
2. Top dressing with AN 70- 100 kg/ha or Calcium Nitrate 25-45 kg/ha after the first fruit setting and another 3 weeks later.
A few Pesticides options
2. Malathion 25 %
10. Karate zeon
15. Super dash
17. Power pesti
A few Fungicide options
1. Mancozeb / Dithane M 45
2. Copper oxychloride
4. Amistar top 325 SC
5. Apron star 42WS
6. Folio Gold
7. Bravo 720 SC
8. Ridomil Gold
NB: Always Use an Agriwetter/ sticker to improve the rain fastness of crop protection products.
1. Determining the maturity of watermelons can be difficult.
2. Harvest with the stalk attached, when the green color starts to turn yellow.
3. Mature watermelons give a dull sound when tapped whereas immature ones give a metallic sound.
4. Others use the stalk that attaches the fruit; when it starts to dry the fruit can be picked
🍉. 9-11 tons/ha Market
🍉. Local markets as fresh produce
All pre and post-emergence herbicides, as well as Crop protection chemicals/pesticides, are available at any of the Farm & City Centre branches throughout the nation.
# Tinemi kwese kwese.
MKULIMATODAY.COM is a leading Agricultural Company where you get quality farming products as well as the best farming advice/consultancy.
Compiled by Agronomist
Having an agribusiness question? Do you know of a successful agribusiness venture or story that you wish to share? I would like to hear from you. Send me the TIP(s) at email@example.com
Like and follow MkulimaTODAY on Facebook | twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Group share this article and leave comments or questions or WhatsApp me +254700761190 on what you would like me to answer in the next article.