Kenya dairy sector the most advanced in Sub Saharan Africa

Kenya dairy sector is the most advanced in Sub Saharan Africa

Mkulima today agriculture in Kenya is on the rise. In the past, the average age of a Kenyan farmer was 65 years old and was retired. Today we see more youth venture into agriculture and embrace new technologies.Kenya dairy sector the most advanced in Sub Saharan Africa.

The dairy sector in Kenya is one of the leading forces in agribusiness development in the country.

With multinationals like brookside dairy leading the way and other small scale farmers following through.

Read more

Starting out in dairy goat farming plus costs

KCB offers over one million shillings funding for youth in agribusiness

Agriculture in Kenya today and the future

Dairy farming

The dairy sub-sector in Kenya is considered the most developed in Sub-Saharan Africa. At the national level, this sector contributes 3.5% of the total GDP.

The current milk output is estimated at 5.2 billion liters per annum.

Out of the annual milk production, 60% is from grade dairy cattle and their crosses while the remaining 40% comes from zebu, camel and goats.

The national dairy herd is estimated at 3.3 million heads majority of which are grade cattle.

Smallholder farmers account for about 2.5 million dairy cows producing over 80% of total national milk output.

Output

Kenya dairy sector the most advanced in Sub-Saharan Africa. Of the total milk produced, about 60% is marketed through traders, cooperatives, hotels, and kiosks.

An estimated 84% of the milk produced is sold in raw form.

It is further estimated that, in the entire milk commodity chain, from producers (farmers) to milk hawkers, nearly one million households and businesses are involved.

Having an agribusiness question? Do you know of a successful agribusiness venture or story that you wish to share? I would like to hear from you. Send me the TIP(s) at mkulimatoday@gmail.com

Like and follow MkulimaTODAY on Facebook | twitter | Pinterest | Instagram share this article and leave comments or questions or WhatsApp me +254700761190 on what you would like me to write on in the next article.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

MKULIMATODAY.COM - Supporting farmers | #AskMKULIMATODAY | Follow @mkulimatoday on all social platforms.